[NAFEX] was freeze, now grafting persimmons

Lucky.PIttman at murraystate.edu Lucky.PIttman at murraystate.edu
Fri Apr 13 22:12:50 EDT 2007

Is "'whip/splice" the same as "whip&tongue" without the tongue?
Yes.  Just a long, sloping cut in both scion and rootstock, such that the cambium layers line up in good
apposition, then wrap and seal.
Whether doing a bark graft or simple whip, I usually use a 2 or 3-bud scion stick, unless I'm very short on a
particular variety, in which case I may put on 1-bud scions, but there's no 'backup' if that one bud gets damaged -
 and there's less stored energy for callus formation, as a 1-bud scion is typically quite a bit smaller than one
with 2,3 or more buds.

Again, aftercare is probably the most critical part of the whole operation

LLP