[NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

Hal Love lovehd at comcast.net
Fri Apr 13 16:22:50 EDT 2007

Shirley,

Are your asian persimmons grafted on native rootstock or D. lotus? Just
curious, as I have seen very mixed reports regarding asian persimmons after
the big freeze. Most commercially sold asian types are grafted on D. lotus,
so I am thinking that maybe the budbreak differences are due to the stock
used.

I am only familiar with grafting persimmons onto larger stock with bark
grafts, not bench grafting. I would think whip and tongue would work when
the stock is pushing leaves well, but I'm not certain. Maybe Lucky can give
you a better answer.

Hal