[NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Apr 13 13:38:34 EDT 2007

At 12:15 PM 4/13/2007, Hal wrote:
>Now for the things that survived with little or no damage:
>Asian persimmons on native rootstock were still dormant and completely
>undamaged.
Same here.  Asian persimmons and the two D.virginianaXD.kaki
hybrids(OK, one is a disputed hybrid)  were still firmly dormant -
with the exception of the K-5 Korean - but almost all of the
D.virginiana selections were well along toward leafing out, with 2-6
inches of new growth now hanging limp and black.

Black walnuts, and the "Late Rhodes" heartnut selection were all
unscathed, but other heartnut/buartnut/butternut selections were well
along into leafing out and blooming, and took severe hits.
Some of the pecans will be minimally affected, but there are a few
Southern pecan varieties(Creek, Pawnee - well, now that I think about
this, they're full sibs - maybe a couple others) that were full into
catkin expansion when the freezes hit.

Lucky