[NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Apr 13 11:52:45 EDT 2007

At 07:46 AM 4/13/2007, Jim Fruth wrote:
>    Let's hear it from everyone.........................whose fruit trees,
>vines, bushes, etc. are still undamaged?

Not here.
Almost everything will be a total crop loss, and there's likely to be
significant twig/branch dieback on some trees.  No plums, peaches,
apricots, cherries, pears, apples, blueberries, kiwis, mayhaws,
pawpaws, or mulberries this year.  Blackberries are a *maybe*.
Some hickories may be a *maybe* - most were beginning to leaf out,
but had not bloomed yet.  Some pecans and oaks had catkins out; heck,
I had some oaks with 8-10 inches of new growth that's now black and
crispy.  The few young chestnuts that are old enough to bloom
probably got nuked as well.
Surprisingly the serviceberries on the trees at the public library
yesterday looked not too bad - I need to check the bushes at home.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY