[NAFEX] Fruit fans create a stink over odourless durian

rob hamilton lostman_amiga at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 07:42:24 EDT 2007

I would like to try this new durian.  I do get some when I can from an international store here in Atlanta, GA. It is expensive her in the states, but it worth an occasion taste. Actually I was introduced to it at a Southern Fruit Fellowship meeting. It does really smell bad and the smell will fill the room!  The flavor is very hard to discribe, but it does not match the smell. I would encourage everyone to try it at least once.

I wonder though if the flavor would suffer would out the smell.

roebrt
Donna &/or Kieran <holycow at cookeville.com> wrote: I bought some kind of frozen dessert with durian in it.  It smelled and
tasted a bit like mango with onion and garlic in it.  Not bad, and I could
get to like it I think.  My husband was horrified at the smell and still
talks about it.  I note that he is bothered by smells that don't bother me,
like a batch of kimchee I made once, he and my son made me sit downwind of
them to eat it.  And though we both kind of like the smell of distant skunk,
if the dog gets skunked he won't pet her for weeks afterward.  (Note that
all these smells are based at least partly on sulfur compounds.)
     I'm figuring that peeled frozen durian was only a very mild sample of
the real thing.    Donna

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

Southeastern Palm and Exotic Plant Society (SPEPS)
www.SPEPS.net
California Rare Fruit Growers
www.crfg.org