[NAFEX] Fertilizer

growyourown at earthlink.net growyourown at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 22:31:52 EDT 2007

Kathryn,
   One way to get an excess of Phosphorous is by adding too much compost and manure. Believe it or not there is such a thing as too much compost. Your bone meal is also a P source. I suspect it would take a lot of compost to get you out of wack. Once you have a P excess its hard to get it down.
   Cotton seed meal is said to have an acid break down. This is why many Rhodo growers recommend this a a N source.If you were to go conventional, ammonium sulfate would be good.
   Gypsumm I dont think has an acidifying affect. This is why it is used where dont want to alter the PH. Great source for both Cal and sulfur but they nuetralize each other. Straight sulfur would be a better choice.
   Potassium sulfate 0-0-50 would be my choice for the K. Organic and gives you the sulfur. However its hard to find small amounts.

Mark