[NAFEX] Freeze Damage

nottke1 nottke1 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 17:23:07 EDT 2007

On Monday I drove from Winston-Salem to Knoxville via I-40 and late Tuesday I returned to W-S via I-81/I-77.
Along I-40 there are whole forests that had turned black after being bright green the previous week.  Low areas seemed to be hit worse that higher ones.
On the return, the damage from the highway appeared to be much less along the higher altitude I-81.
Here outside Winston-Salem the freeze wiped out the plums, peaches, blueberries, and probably most apples and pears.
One strange phenomenon was that kohlrabi, radish and lettuce were not affected by the freeze, while peas and cabbage were melted to the ground.
I guess I will find out what store-bought fruit tastes like this year.

Jim Nottke