[NAFEX] flowering quince

rob hamilton lostman_amiga at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 13:38:23 EDT 2007

This brings up a another issue. I always wondered if the different quinces were graft compatable?? The low form of Chaenomales grafted high on a Psudocydonia would look pretty interesting.

Robert

derry&bill <wchase at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote: I sure wouldn't plant Chaenomales sp. in my garden again.

It looks magnificent in bloom if 'espaliered' against a fence, but it
suckers horrendously and those suckers are like rods of iron when you
try to cut them back. After a few years you have many suckers coming up
from the base of the plant, crowding your flower bed, and they are
almost impossible to remove.

Derry Walsh
south coastal B.C.

Paul Cabe wrote:
> We are planning to plant some flowering quince (Chaenomeles) for
> landscaping purposes.

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

Southeastern Palm and Exotic Plant Society (SPEPS)
www.SPEPS.net
California Rare Fruit Growers
www.crfg.org