[NAFEX] Freeze Damage

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Wed Apr 11 13:05:11 EDT 2007

Yes, you should remove all of the damaged fruit and leaves if they do not
fall off on their own.  They will harbor disease and insects in the same way
the mummies do for overwintering pests and disease.  Some of the most
fundamental cultural practices can alleviate many potential problems, but
especially bacterial diseases.  If you have row trees, cultivating the rows
will remove any overwintering pests that hide under leaves or mulch (I'm not
a big fan of mulch under or around trees for this reason) or any that burrow
underground.  Most pests that burrow into the ground only burrow an inch or
two so the cultivating buries them deeper and they die.  These kinds of
practices help alleviate the pressure form these types of pests.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com