[NAFEX] Freeze news...

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Tue Apr 10 12:46:55 EDT 2007

Hello All,

Newspaper articles are starting to report on the freeze damage.  Does anyone
know if there is an online map of the US that lays out the freeze damaged
areas?  There is little if any damage where I am in Ontario (about 2 hours
north of the border).  Later, Tom

---

http://www.examiner.com/a655769~Growers_report_some_freeze_damage_to_fruit_t
rees_but_not_severe.html

Growers report some freeze damage to fruit trees but not severe

"WENATCHEE, Wash. (Map
<http://www.examiner.com/map.cfm?latlong=47.3635%20-120.3481&dateline=WENATC
HEE,%20Wash.> , News
<http://www.examiner.com/Dateline-WENATCHEE%2C%20WashpRD.html?cid=dateline>
) - Eastern Washington fruit growers and their crews worked well into the
wee hours to prevent damage from a serious spring freeze and largely
succeeded, an industry official said.

Temperatures dropped into the teens in parts of northcentral Washington
early Tuesday as growers fired up smudge pots and switched on propeller-like
fans. Some sprayed their trees with water, insulating buds beneath a layer
of ice at 32 degrees.".

=======

http://www.tmnews.com/index.php?option=com_content
<http://www.tmnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6458&Itemid
=43> &task=view&id=6458&Itemid=43

Eyeing the Damage

Southern Indiana: ."Byers said all his pears and blackberries are gone, but
he still has cherries, apples and peaches near the tops of the trees.

"There's nothing we can do but wait and see," he explained. "It will
probably be a couple of weeks before we'll really know what to expect."

Melton, owner of Melton's Orchard and Country Market in Bloomington, said
the frigid weather probably wiped out his crop for this growing season.

"I seriously doubt we'll have any peaches at all this year," he reported. "I
mean they just look pitiful. The leaves are wilted, and I just don't see any
hope.".