[NAFEX] Freeze damage- off topic genus

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Apr 10 10:28:45 EDT 2007

I emerged from my house this AM to greet 26 degree cold.  This is the
fifth consecutive night of temperatures below freezing, 4 of these with
lows in the 20's.  Daytime temps have been in the 50s and sunny here in
central NC.

I saw what looked like snow settled on my crape myrtles.  Upon close
inspection I realized that they had frozen sap at the base of each small
lateral branch.  The bark had been blown off by the freezing sap and the
cambium exposed.  I surveyed my property for other trees/shrubs with his
phenomenon, but found none among the naturally-occurring or cultivated
plants.

Has anyone seen this? Are these fatally injured?

Betsy Hilborn
7a

crape myrtle damage