[NAFEX] Tennessee damage

S & E Hills ehills7408 at wowway.com
Mon Apr 9 20:37:52 EDT 2007

I didn't like how the leaves on my clove currant or gooseberry (pixwell that
is being replaced this year by Captivator) darkened and looked like they
were going to drop.  My nanking cherries were in full bloom and the wind and
cold ripped every blossom from the plant the first night.  We saw a low of
24.6, with most nights over the past week being around 26.5.  I know the
cold did in a variegated holly and the passionflower cerulea (or whatever)
that I had new growth emerging on before the cold hit.  My red currants were
beginning to uncurl leaves, but they seem unharmed.  Goumi was almost fully
leaved out and it didn't' care about the cold (but then again it doesn't
lose its leaves every winter either).  Hardy kiwi buds look like they have
turned to mush, but I'm not too terribly worried about them (though blooming
this year would have been nice).

S. Hills (zone 6..1/2 mile from Lake St. Clair in Southeast Mi..the past 2
winters only dropped to zone 7 temps, though.)

  _____