[NAFEX] Freeze Damage

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Mon Apr 9 13:18:05 EDT 2007

Good comments, Richard.   I grew up in a part of Kansas where late
spring frosts are the rule rather than the exception. When they hit, we
or the wildlife simply did not have fruit that year, either cultivated
or wild, except for species that bloomed very late or trees that were in
microclimates that either protected them or retarded their growth and
bloom.  We didn't like it, but what else could be done.  Due to the
recent cold weather, my mom's apricots, peaches, pears and sour cherries
in Hays, Kan. (about midway between Kansas City and Denver) will not
have any fruit.

Undoubtedly, wildlife does suffer when fruiting plants do not produce a
crop, but most animals do not rely on a single food source.

This weekend, we drove from St. Paul, Minn., where most things had not
yet leafed out or started blooming, to Lawrence, Kan., via Omaha and
returned via Kansas City and Des Moines.  Everywhere we passed through
had experienced temps in the teens after weeks of abnormally warm temps.
In Lawrence, the early tulips looked very limp, bowed over onto the
ground.  The blossoms on my friend's dogwoods in Kansas City were frozen
on the tree.

But almost all things will either regrow from buds that remained dormant
while their neighbors began growth or if the top was killed, will
resprout from the roots.  It's not nice for fruit growers like us, but
it's not the end of the world.

--  Sam Brungardt in St. Paul, Minn., where the snowdrops had finished
blooming and the flowers of the species crocus and scilla are being held
tightly shut and to the ground.