[NAFEX] Damage(weather matters)

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 10:23:21 EDT 2007

Fortunately here (s.WI) the case seems to be more like Jim F in MN-- very few things
leafed out.  Of fruit trees only pears & plums w/ swollen buds.  Wild gooseberries &
red elderberry were leafing out out.

Speaking of drought, someone previously posted a statement about the Dust Bowl being
caused by over-use of chemical ag.  Biggest cause was drought.  That, and decades of
plowing up sod and over-grazing what wasn't plowed, in a region which went a few
decades without its normal bad droughts (which would have slowed the expansion of
ag).  Not enough fence/hedge rows either, so harsh cmemical fertilizers & pesticides
were a relatively minor problem.

>From an older fellow who was trying to farm in WI in those years: "The first year
without rain was bad, the second year was worse, and the third spring the trees
didn't leaf out.  And it was hot..."