[NAFEX] Fertilizer

Kathryn Mathews kathmath at charterinternet.com
Mon Apr 9 09:13:49 EDT 2007

I've got some fruit trees and shrubs planted in an area that used to be my
vegetable garden.  I've taken a random approach to fertilizing in the past.
Composed manure one year, soybean meal the next, blood and bone meal, etc.
The only constant is that I've been adding a lot of compost for which my
carbon source has been shredded oak and maple leaves.  I knew my soil was
alkaline and was hoping that over time the leaves would lower the ph.  I
finally got a soil test a couple of years ago that indicated the ph was
still 7.5 and recommended a fertilizer ratio of 30-0-20 (for some reason my
phosphorous levels are off the charts).  Apparently I need to be a bit more
precise in my approach to soil amending.  I'm planning to add gypsum
(calcium sulfate) to lower the ph.  How much should I add per 100 square
feet for clay soil?  As for fertilizer, I would like to stay organic.
Alfalfa meal is listed at 2.6-0-2.3 and soybean meal is listed at
7.0-.5-2.3.  Would one of these be a good choice?  In a previous post
someone mentioned soybean meal would lower ph.  Is there something else
anyone would like to recommend that would approximate the 30-0-20 ratio I'm
looking for and contribute to my goal of lowering ph?  How much  should I
apply per 100 square feet?
Kathryn Mathews
southern MN
This notice is required by IRS Circular 230, which regulates written
communications about federal tax matters between tax advisors and their
clients.  To the extent the preceding correspondence and/or any attachment
is a written tax advice communication, it is not a full “covered opinion.”
Accordingly, this advice is not intended and cannot be used for the purpose
of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS.