[NAFEX] Blueberry decline

BRosholdt rosholdt at erols.com
Sun Apr 8 20:26:06 EDT 2007

Ooops, I live in Virginia, and attempt to avoid the "pot instead of
plant" problem all the time. I can't believe I fell for that.  My soil
is naturally acidic though heavy, but I had added lime in the spot I
wanted to plant, so I thought planting on hills made of peat.sand above
the clay would be good.  I'll move them where we have recently been
working on the heavy soil, after adding sulfur.  This time, I'll just
double dig, then plant (carefully not too deep or in a rut), put our
great horse manure and wood chip compost all around, and finish by
putting drip hose on top where I can watch it so it doesn't overdo it.
I remember John Clark saying "Don't let them dry out."  Well, live and
learn.  Then when they settle in, I'll see if I can get some organic
soybean meal.  I did plant one blueberry, Star, in a real nasty place
(almost unimproved), on top of  a hill.  So far it is fine.

Thanks so much, gentlemen.

Barbara R.   (Too much studyin', too little experience.)
Z7 Central Virginia (If you don't like the weather in Virginia, just wait)

Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries decline