[NAFEX] Blueberries decline

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 8 18:10:48 EDT 2007

The way you did it, you essentially made a big pot, so the roots don't
move out of the sand into the clay.   Also, whatever water you add has
trouble penetrating the interface between the sand and the clay, so the
water doesn't move into the surrounding soil well, letting the "soil"
in the "pot"  swing between soggy and dry all the time.   It would have
been more effective to plant the berries in the clay directly so they
would have a chance to adapt to it, with LOTS of organic matter added
as mulch.  Soil life would open up channels in the clay with their
feeding activities on the organic mulch (compost, leaves, etc) and the
mulch would keep the moisture from having wide "swings" between soggy
and dry.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com