[NAFEX] Growing organically

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sun Apr 8 13:27:45 EDT 2007

The California farming valleys - the Sacramento, San Joaquin, and San
Fernandez - seem to be the organic capital of the world.  Not just the
valleys - actually, I'm sure a greater percentage of the foothill farmland
is organic.  Our food coop changed to all organic several years ago, as
there was finally enough supply at competitive prices.  In the supermarkets,
the veggies in the organic section are maybe 10% higher than conventional;
at Whole Foods and the food coop, there's no discernable price difference.
This has certainly been consumer driven.  But in response to that consumer
drive farmers have found economical ways to grow quantities of quality
organic foods.

For years I've known farmers who would like to have made the switch to
organics - and reduce their own exposure to more toxic sprays; they just
didn't know how, couldn't find USDA help, and were unwilling to take the
economic risk.

As for your customer who wanted a large tomato so she could cut it small -
sheesh!!!  Some people do think oddly.  The flavor of locally grown organic
heirloom tomatoes, along with ripe sweet peaches - have probably been the
items most driving local buyers toward organics.

But what I started to say here was

Happy Easter,
~ Stephen