[NAFEX] broken grape and grafting

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Apr 8 12:23:17 EDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Jenny Ruth Yasi wrote:

> Snow fell off my roof and totally broke my Niagara white seedless
> (yummy)
> grape, right at the old part of the vine. The old part was getting too
> long
> anyway, but sigh, hate to lose the whole vine. Anyway to save it?

It will almost certainly produce new growth from under the break; very
likely lots of it. Select the canes you want from the new growth to
replace the old trunk, and remove the extras.

If you think it was grafted, select your canes from above the graft;
but Niagara may be own-rooted (though I don't know about seedless
Niagara), in which case you might do best to select from new canes
starting as close to the ground as possible, and remove (saw off) any
remaining old trunk.

I don't think Niagara will bear on a sucker (again, I don't know about
the seedless version); so if you've lost the whole top of the vine, you
might not get any fruit this year. But you should eventually have a
happy new vine aboveground, with the benefit of all the old root system
for it to draw on.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly