[NAFEX] Growing organically

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Sun Apr 8 10:11:23 EDT 2007

    I've been selling at farmers' markets for a lot of years and have
learned that most customers do not want organic produce.  Oh, they will all
SAY they want organic but the want it at supermarket prices.  Customers want
perfect produce; they handle every tomato and if they see a slightest
imperfection, they reject it.  Customers also want their produce to be the
same size as that which they find at supermarkets.
    One time, after sorting through my displayed tomatoes, a citiot asked
me, "Don't you have any more BIG tomatoes?"  "Why do you need big ones?" I
asked.  "I'm going to cut them up for a salad," was her reply.
    I have watched vendors come in to sell certified organic produce and
they either stop coming because much of their produce doesn't sell or they
drop their organic certification.  In my opinion, "organic' will become the
trend when customers stop being so fussy.  What's the problem with a tiny
pock or ding?  And so long as organic producers are able to grow less
perfect fruits than their non-organic counter-parts, their organic produce
must, necessarily, cost more if they are to stay in business.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

On Apr 7, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

> My underlying point being that preaching to farmers and agriculturists
> about the virtues of organic and standard agricultural practices will
> not change consumer demand one iota, and its consumer demand that
> drives commercial agricultural practice.
> ?

Preaching rarely works, on anybody. But I know organic growers who have
gradually increasing numbers of other organic farms all around them.
They don't preach; they just do a good job. Their neighbors notice the
results. Success also drives agricultural practice.

--Rivka