[NAFEX] nafex Rooting Above The Graft

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Apr 8 08:55:54 EDT 2007

> Yes. But notice that many growers are grafting far higher these days. Any sprout at a graft level I would view with suspicion as well.
> Still. you might air layer these and use them for root stock,
>

> .. orig msg ...
>
> >The planting guide from Miller Nurseries says to make sure the graft is
> above ground level,... but only with dwarf apples. Won't other dwarf
> fruit trees sprout roots from above the graft, if they're planted too deep?

I was just curious why it was only apples that needed the graft to be
kept above ground level. The point is, I know, so it doesn't root above
the graft and you lose the dwarfing effect of the rootstock. But
wouldn't this happen with other fruit species, too?

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I
wouldn't be a bit surprised. - Dorothy Parker