[NAFEX] frost/freeze protection and growing in containers

JoanRRosenberg at aol.com JoanRRosenberg at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 15:13:23 EDT 2007

I do not know of any books.  I grow small trees and berries in containers,
but mine are hardy enough to withstand the winter in the container itself
without being moved into a garage.  The larger the container, the more likely the
plant will live.  I also leave lots of leaves on the top surface, and make sure
it has perfect drainage.  Any ice on the roots and thats the end of the roots.
  Do not put anything in a container that is marginal for the area.  If you
are in zone 3, use only zone 2 plants outside for the winter.  They must be
hardier than the zone to survive in the container.  I am in zone 6/7 and my
container plants are zone 4/5/6.