[NAFEX] Chlorosis blueberries

Lee Reich garden at leereich.com
Wed Apr 4 12:14:26 EDT 2007

Chlorosis of blueberries is usually due to soil that is
insufficiently acidic (pH 4-5 is ideal) or poor drainage. Correct
improper pH with sulfur. The amount to use depends on the pH change
needed and the soil type, with heaavier soils needing more than
lighter soils.

Some fertilizers can also make the soil less acidic. An excellent
source of nitrogen that does not make the soil less acidic, does put
the nitrogen in a form utilized by blueberries, and costs relatively
little is soybean meal (or, more expensive but available in smaller
packages, cottonseed meal). Spread it in late fall at the rate of 1-2
pounds per hundred square feet.

Lee Reich, PhD
garden at leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich: