[NAFEX] Chlorosis blueberries - lead in iron sulfate

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Apr 4 12:01:18 EDT 2007

I appreciate the recommendations to use iron sulfate for chlorosis.

I happened to run across a Minnesota Department of Agriculture,
Pesticide and Fertilizer Management Division publication that lists
heavy metal contaminants of common fertilizers.  I was hesitant to use
dry iron sulfate because of the lead content.

http://www.mda.state.mn.us/fertilizer/heavymetals2002.pdf

Any chemists out there who can comment on these concentrations of lead
in 2 brands of iron sulfate: 219 and 392 ppm?  I don't know anything
about plant uptake, bioavailability, long term soil contamination
issues...

Betsy Hilborn 7a