[NAFEX] parachutes & Low Temps

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Wed Apr 4 07:46:57 EDT 2007

Hello All,

I see many acres of land that is tarped to produce ginseng (tarps produce
shade).  Would a similar system work for dwarf orchard frost protection for
early blooming frost protection?

You can see the system they use here for ginseng;
http://sci.agr.ca/london/images/ginseng.gif

The tarps that cover the top roll back at the end of the season.  It would
be fast and easy frost protection for dwarf trees to protect early blooms.

If the tarps were not closed until late February, and white plastic was
used, wouldn't it trap the cold in the ground, reflect the suns heat, and
hold the trees back from blooming?  Then open the tarps after the bloom
until next season.

There are thousands of acres tarped this way for ginseng, but for different
reasons.

Later,

Tom

  _____