[NAFEX] They are predicting lows of 21 F for Friday night and Saturday night

Stefan Brandle sbrandle at css.taylor.edu
Mon Apr 2 10:47:12 EDT 2007

21 F two nights in a row. Oh, dear. This is getting worse. Woe is me. Or
to be more precise, woe is those of my plants that have fallen for the
fickle promises of temporarily warm weather. I can spray, cover, etc. a
plant or two, but I guess this is where I have to wish the majority of
the early-blooming plants good luck. Leaves come back fairly easily, but
blooms don't. Fortunately, only a few have actual flowers open, but
we'll have to see how it goes.

Four or five years ago we had a very late (May 19, 20, 21, or so) set of
hard freezes. Right after that, I got my first fireblight outbreak. All
three older apple trees and the two bartlett pears got nailed. I kept
cutting chunks out of the pear trees and beat fireblight on one, but
lost the other completely. The 15-20 foot apple trees were so badly
covered that I didn't even try dealing with the problem. They all shook
it off, leaving a number of dead twigs, including the
fireblight-susceptible jonathan. I guess that it's better to get the
freezes now than a month and a half from now.

-- sb