[NAFEX] Possible frost, what to do

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Apr 2 03:14:05 EDT 2007

Yes, the old fashioned lights - advice about using Christmas lights has been
around for a long time, but in recent years the lights are almost heat-free.
For single trees in colder climes I've used a single regular light bulb and
a sheet for many degrees of protection.  Larger areas in my little acre had
to make do with overhead watering.

~ Stephen

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Olenio
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:20 PM
To: dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com; 'North American Fruit Explorers'
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Possible frost, what to do

Hi,

That sounds like a good idea.  Put a string of old fashioned 7w Christmas
lights on the tree and tarp it to trap the heat the bulbs produce.  Sounds
like it would work for a single, small tree.

They also have temperature switches that turn on at a temperature you set.
People on vacation would use them to alert neighbors of a freeze problem in
their home while they were on vacation down south, when a certain lamp came
on.

Your idea is much like a mini greenhouse.

Later,

Tom