[NAFEX] Sambucus

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 1 09:45:12 EDT 2007

Elderberry information
http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/Fruit/elderberry.shtml    The
connection is very slow at the moment.  Server may be down for
maintenance.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com

On Apr 1, 2007, at 6:16 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

Doc,
     If you want to plant Elderberry in shady areas, get S. canadensis.
It
does well for me here in dappled shade here in zone 3.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Has anyone had any experience with growing the Sambuscus nigrum?  I have
just planted four of them trying to get a different elderberry.  I have
planted Adams, Nova, Johns and of course the native wild ones. The
natives
produced very small berries and the others didn't survive, probably due
planting them in shady locations.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8 (SC)