[NAFEX] Raccoon problem - the tasty solution with a bonussquirrelrecipe...

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Sep 29 15:46:52 EDT 2006

I was worried about the first step in the chain, more and more raccoons.
Thad didn't happen.  We could have used more hawks and owls, though, for the
nocturnal, burrowing, garden-thieving varmints.

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Olenio
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 11:58 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raccoon problem - the tasty solution with a
bonussquirrelrecipe...

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:08:52 -0400, Stephen Sadler <Docshiva at Docshiva.org>
wrote:

> I fed them.  I put bowls of feed out for theme every night, and they, in
> turn, left my garden alone.

Hi,

I know somebody who did something similar.  A retired farmer's wife began
keeping rabbits.  Her pet rabbit population exploded, as rabbits will do.
Then they escaped.

Cannot tell you what neighgor farmers thought of that.  It was not
pleasant.  In many regards it was like a plague of locusts.

Then the coy dog populaiton exploded, and the hawk population went up.

No more bunnies.  Nobody is losing sleep over that.

Later,
Tom