[NAFEX] Raccoon problem - the tasty solution with a bonus squirrel recipe...

fuwa fuwa usagi fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com
Fri Sep 29 12:05:21 EDT 2006

It was queried:

How does one handle a raccon problem?

My reply:

I posted this before(Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:01:24 -0500), but:

Cranberry Raccoon:

2 1/2 to 3 lbs of Raccoon pieces (remove the fat and glands)
1 cup of finely chopped cranberries
1 cup apple cider
1/4 cup honey
pinch of grated orange peel
a tad of salt
1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg

put the coon in a crock pot for 7-8;
then add other ingredients and cook for an additional 4-5 hours...enjoy...
it really is very satisfying and tasty...

The fluffy bunny

P.S. coon pelts are running around 25-30 dollars last I checked...I think some of you are over looking a source of additional income...

And now for an update, a bonus recipe...

Glazed squirrel:

Take about ¾ cup of apple juice and reduce it to ½ cup apple juice, add a tablespoon of honey and simmer in a little grated orange peel in a sauce pan.  .

Next caramelize a large onion.  Remove the onion from the pan.  Add a smidge of oil to the pan and scrape off the “leavings” using the oil as a solvent.   Now heat the pan add a little more oil throw a pinch of salt, a pinch of nutmeg, and a little ground clove…throw in ½ the onion, now add some squirrel and pan fry over high heat for 5-7 minutes, reduce the heat, add ½ cup dried cranberries….cook about 3 minutes and then add the apple juice mixture to coat the squirrel 3-4 minutes…now turn the stove off and let the squirrel rest a bit, say about 45 minutes or so.  Remove the squirrel from the pan, sprinkle the rest of the caramelized onion on top and bake the coated squirrel for about 20-35 minutes at 350 in a preheated oven.

This is good with a cornbread stuffing or a rice mixture.

the fluffy bunny

P.S. you can flavor squirrels by giving them a diet of sweet acorns, almonds, and Winesap apples…delicious…it is a southern thing - I forog twhat Nafexer turned me on this fact, but it was a delicious lesson