[NAFEX] Enough of the killing

W3cmp at aol.com W3cmp at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 10:42:06 EDT 2006

Joe:

    Best way to handle racoon problems that I know of is to bait a
Have-a-Heart trap with come canned tuna or other fish and the apply a .22.  If the
racoon is in a group others may overturn the trap and try like crazy to free the
trapped animal. I've set traps in the evening and the next morining the bait is
gone, the trap is overturned and there is evidence that an animal was trapped.
 I assumed it was a racoon because these incidents occurred about the time I
eventually caught a racoon in the trap.  I don't know if lacing the tuna with
vermin poison works.  I have caught a couple when the trap was baited with
peanut butter, but I was intending to catch squirrels. Racoons are smart and
vicious and decimate an orchard.  I would be anxious to hear how others treat
their problem with racoons.

                                                              Chris Patterson
Zone 6b SE Pa