[NAFEX] Getting Sick from Wild Mushrooms

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:33:25 EDT 2006


I'd argue against psychosomatic.  I find I have trouble with any kind of 
protein my stomach isn't used to.  I grew up on wild foods, wild game, all 
the goodies.  As I get older the stomach seems to be losing the ability to 
work w/ proteins it hasn't seen in a while.

The problems w/ this theory: it started in my 20s; and why can I handle just 
about any wasp/bee sting (isn't their venom a protein?)


----Original Message Follows----
From: "Jim Fruth" <>
To: "NAFEX" <>
Subject: [NAFEX] Getting Sick from Wild Mushrooms
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:44:11 -0500

     I used to get sick every time I ate a wild mushroom for the first time. 
  No, none of them were poisonous.  I used a mushroom guide put out by the 
University of Minnesota making positive identifications, including spore 
prints.  After each first meal, I'd be nauseated for hours thereafter and 
I'm convinced that my distress was psychosomatic.  For years and years, my 
mother, et. al., convinced me that all mushrooms are poisonous and, after I 
learned the truth of it, my subconscious mind found it difficult to let go 
of 'old tapes'.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]





More information about the nafex mailing list