[NAFEX] First Buartnut crop

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Sep 25 19:51:57 EDT 2006

At 04:23 PM 9/24/2006, you wrote:
>After 12 years I have my first buartnut crop, maybe 3-4 bushel from 3
>trees that are cropping.  These are seedling buartnuts from Bear
>Creek & based on the huge variety of shapes & sizes of the nuts, I
>would say these are in pretty early stages of selection.  Or will
>there always be a huge variation with the nuts?  I'm also wondering
>if the fact that I have black walnuts in the area effects the shape
>nuts or would that only express itself in the following generation?
Miekal,
I would expect all nuts from a single tree to have similar shape,
though size could be variable.
Generally black walnut and the butternut/heartnut/Japanese walnut
group don't bloom close enough to concurrently for cross-pollenation
to happen readily, and even if it did, I wouldn't anticipate any
difference in the nuts - only in those produced by resulting seedlings.

Lucky