[NAFEX] Squirrels

W3cmp at aol.com W3cmp at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 10:51:43 EDT 2006

Hello all:
     Squirrels are one of the biggest pains ever invented.  I fight a
constant battle against them every year.  Despite a resident hawk who takes care of
several every year, I end up using a have a heart trap to capture them (peanut
butter bait), and a bb gun to dispose of them.  I put them down nearby ground
hog holes to try to encourage the resident groundhogs to relocate, preferably
away from t he woods that border my orchard.  Squirrels can strip a peach or
apple tree in a couple days. They seem to prefer the peaches after skin color
changes but before the peaches are ripe.  They like sweeter apple varieties
like gala early in the apple ripening cycle, but will go after just about
anything.
     I originally tried to relocate the squirrels but was cautioned against
doing that-they can travel several miles back to their "home", i.e., my
orchard, and moving them just causes someone else a problem.
     I put groundhogs, possums, skunks and raccoons in the same category as
squirrels.  It's a never ending battle to keep them from butchering up fruit as
well.

                                                    Chris Patterson Zone 6 SE
Pa.