[NAFEX] Fruit trees in the City

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 23 12:48:04 EDT 2006

On Sep 23, 2006, at 6:48 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

>     Los Banos, California's streets are lined with Carob Trees.
> Despite the
> many poor folk in the area, no one picks the fruit.  The pods fall on
> the
> ground and are swept up and dumped.

The street behind my grammar school in South Pasadena had carob trees
planted down it.  I was told that the Seventh Day Adventists had
planted carob near schools in South Pasadena and Pasadena in the late
19th century.  Even though I liked unsweetened carob, I didn't often
bother with them.  They need a lot of processing to use.  And most
Americans wouldn't know they were edible.  The trees stink something
awful, too.  There are better choices of public fruit trees.

A lot of it is how removed most Americans are from nature.  People
don't know how to identify edible plants, fruits, nuts, mushrooms, etc.
  There are some easy ones - like even the most citified person around
here knows Himalaya blackberry when they see it -  but I've seen
homeless encampments a block from a large stand of feijoa that rarely
got harvested.  Eventually it was discovered by me and some Chinese
ladies who worked at a local chocolate factory.  We were the only ones
I ever saw harvesting it.

I've spent a lot of my adult life just barely making it so I guess I've
always had it in the back of my mind to be prepared if I became
homeless.  I've made a mental note of where there are any edibles that
aren't on private land. For different reasons, others have too:

http://www.fallenfruit.org/

Spidra Webster
http://www.myspace.com/meganlynch
http://www.spidra.com