[NAFEX] We're going to plant fruit trees in every citystreet!(Glasgow Evening Times)

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Sat Sep 23 00:13:51 EDT 2006

Nearly 30 years ago I lived in a little village in England, and when they announced a tree planting campaign, I suggested they plant some fruit trees.  They said no, that the budget was only for ornamentals, nothing useful.  I like the idea that someone else is thinking of useful trees.  I used to pick up apples in an abandoned orchard, nobody else ever seemed to use the fruit.
    I collected windfall fruit for many years in Tennessee, till people started chopping down the old trees.  There are far fewer fruit trees in Cookeville than there were 15 years ago.    Donna