[NAFEX] The Macintosh clan

BekeeprTop at aol.com BekeeprTop at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 11:47:30 EDT 2006

 In addition to the Fluffy's list of macintosh clan, I would add that what we
call "macintosh" isn't macintosh at all, but "Marshall Macintosh" as the
original macintosh can be tasted only rarely in vintage collections.  The last
orchard had one closed two years ago.  the original ripe was covered with a dust,
like a blue grape is covered with dust.  The apple was large, September
somewhat early if I recall correctly, it had a dark red color and sort of a grape
taste, very sweet and rather soft.   It was said to be susceptible to all apple
diseases and pests, and probably didn't keep well. I would prefer to hear the
present day macintoshes referred to as "marshall macintoshes'' if they aren't
marshalls then they are of that quality class.

I would guess the Cortland may be a descendent of the true Macintosh rather
than the Marshall.
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts