[NAFEX] Early winter?

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 08:02:12 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/21/2006 1:28:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
athagan at atlantic.net writes:

> This has gotten me to thinking that we may have first frost earlier than
> the average this year so I decided against making the last fertilizer
> application on the young citrus so as to not be caught with tender new growth at frost
> time.
>
> What do you folks think?  Early winter this year or not?
>
> .....Alan.

Hello all,

This subject may be off topic, but here goes anyway. I'm enclosing part of an
article seen recently, can't remember the source, but the author is named. I
might subtitle this, "Look out Al Gore."  (Yes, he needs an issue to propell
him into the political limelight and into the presidency.)  Read on.

There is a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998
By Bob Carter
Prof Bob Carter is a geologist at James Cook University, Queensland, engaged
in paleoclimate research. (Filed: 09/04/2006)
For many years now, human-caused climate change has been viewed as a large
and urgent problem. In truth, however, the biggest part of the problem is
neither environmental nor scientific, but a self-created political fiasco. Consider
the simple fact, drawn from the official temperature records of the Climate
Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, that for the years 1998-2005
global average temperature did not increase (there was actually a slight
decrease, though not at a rate that differs significantly from zero).
Yes, you did read that right. And also, yes, this eight-year period of
temperature stasis did coincide with society's continued power station and
SUV-inspired pumping of yet more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Also a period of
similar warming occurred between 1918 and 1940, well prior to the greatest
phase of world industrialisation, and that cooling occurred between 1940 and 1965,
at precisely the time that human emissions were increasing at their greatest
rate.
Ever since the early 1990s, when the global warming bandwagon first started
to roll behind the gravy train of the UN Inter-governmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC) - that such short-term climate fluctuations are chiefly of natural
origin. Yet the public appears to be largely convinced otherwise. How is this
possible?
Since the early 1990s, the columns of many leading newspapers and magazines,
worldwide, have carried an increasing stream of alarmist letters and articles
on hypothetical, human-caused climate change. Each such alarmist article is
larded with words such as "if", "might", "could", "probably", "perhaps",
"expected", "projected" or "modelled" - and many involve such deep dreaming, or
ignorance of scientific facts and principles, that they are akin to nonsense.
The problem here is not that of climate change per se, but rather that of the
sophisticated scientific brainwashing that has been inflicted on the public,
bureaucrats and politicians alike. Governments generally choose not to receive
policy advice on climate from independent scientists. Rather, they seek
guidance from their own self-interested science bureaucracies and senior advisers,
or from the IPCC itself. No matter how accurate it may be, cautious and
politically non-correct science advice is not welcomed in Westminster, and nor is it
widely reported.
There are other reasons, too, why the public hears so little in detail from
those scientists who approach climate change issues rationally, the so-called
climate sceptics. Most are to do with intimidation against speaking out, which
operates intensely on several parallel fronts. Scientists are under intense
pressure to conform with the prevailing paradigm of climate alarmism if they
wish to receive funding for their research.
The essence of the issue is this. Climate changes naturally all the time,
partly in predictable cycles, and partly in unpredictable shorter rhythms and
rapid episodic shifts, some of the causes of which remain unknown. We are
fortunate that our modern societies have developed during the last 10,000 years of
benignly warm, interglacial climate. But for more than 90 per cent of the last
two million years, the climate has been colder, and generally much colder, than
today. The reality of the climate record is that a sudden natural cooling is
far more to be feared, and will do infinitely more social and economic damage,
than the late 20th century phase of gentle warming.