[NAFEX] Early winter?

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Thu Sep 21 17:01:05 EDT 2006

Here on the Illinois-Wisconsin border, 80 miles northwest of Chicago, fall
is already here, about a month early.  We had 30F last night and the
previous night.  Trees started developing color in late August, apples are
holding on trees longer than usual due to cool nights and I spotted the
first flock of geese flying south this morning, honking loudly all the way.

This same pattern happened in 2000, my first year in the area.  That year,
it snowed the day after Halloween, snowed 6 feet in December and it was
-25F on Christmas Eve.  January was snow-free, though.  Weather statistics
are averages, and given that the last 4 to 5 winters have been warmer than
normal and snow-free in many spots usually known for it, a cold, snowy
winter is overdue.
Doreen Howard