[NAFEX] GIOMBO ASIAN PERSIMMONS

natelson at stehlinclinic.com natelson at stehlinclinic.com
Thu Sep 21 07:44:49 EDT 2006

Lester,

     My Giombo (Gianbo?)is ripe now - that is to say it has good color and
a few are soft.  At this stage I pick the firm ones and soak them in
a large bucket of water,changing the water about 4-5 times over a few
days.  This dialyzes out the astringency.  Then I put them in a zip
lock bag in the refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks and they are perfect
in flavor, with no astringency and still are quite firm and have no
streaks at the bottom.  There is a very heavy crop this year - it
seems to be somewhat of an alternate bearer here, unlike Saijo which
ripens later and always has a heavy crop.  I treat it the same way to
get ripe fruit which is quite firm.

                      Regards, Ethan (Zone 9 a)