[NAFEX] Grapes questions

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 12:52:41 EDT 2006

We've got the first real harvests from our four different grapevines,
3 planted in 2003, one in 2004.  I'm very happy!  Of course it might
just be a good grape year...

Seeded Concord - got 20# or more.  Brix 16.  The brix of juice
   extracted with the new steamer juicer was 15 - much better than I
   expected from this.
Okanaga reisling - got 10# or thereabouts, not quite enough to make
   a gallon of wine.  Brix around 20, but after adding about 5-10%
   himrod, the must brix was 22.
Canadice - (2004 grape) pink seedless - brix 26-27 (!)
Himrod - white seedless - wild guess yield 15# - brix 22-25

My questions:

These vines are young, but they are taking up their whole trellis.
How much more production can I expect?

The Canadice and Himrod both make decent raisins, but the canadice
dry faster, perhaps since they are smaller?  Are there recommended
raisin varities?  Thompson seedless?

Any suggestions for low-care grapes for red wine? I don't really want
to coddle a merlot.  Burnt ridge no longer carries the okanagan
riesling, which makes me wonder.

Any other really great grapes?

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall