[NAFEX] puffball

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 08:08:18 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/18/2006 9:55:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
loneroc at mwt.net writes:

> I tried drying slices of puffball once.  My house smelling so gaggy I've
> never been able to eat them again--even just plain ole fried.  I'll stick to
> eggplant.
>
> Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3

Can't help but wonder if you tried them when the interior was brown, nearly
in the spore stage?

I've sliced them, when totally white, (about 1/4 inch thick) dried them in
the fruit drier then use them in cooking. No offensive odor what so ever. My
wife has a sensitive nose connected to a wild imagination and would have thrown
them out if any unpleasant order occurred.

Jerry