[NAFEX] Morus Nigra for Zone 6

Matt Demmon mdemmon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 22:08:00 EDT 2006

I have a variety called Kokuso, originally from Clifford England who is a
list member, his website slips my mind. It's been in the ground 3 winters,
badly mistreated, and transplanted twice in zone 5, western michigan. It is
doing very well, vigorous growth, a little bit of tip dieback, no fruit yet.
Supposed to be seedless. Anyways, it's surviving!

-matt

On 9/8/06, Bassem Samaan <bassem at gardener.com> wrote:

> I understand that M. nigra mullberries are among the best in flavors.
> However, all the varieties I've seen may not do well in the cold compared to
> M. Alba and M. Rubra. Even some M. Alba varieties such as Pakistan, had
> sever winter kill, but have sprouted back for me. I know that some varieties
> will taste different even though they'll survive the cold.
>
> Does anyone know of a variety that might do well for my area?
>
> Bass samaan
>
> zone 6,  Eastern Pennsylvania
>
> --

> sites.