[NAFEX] Trees for Tibet

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Wed Sep 6 23:49:07 EDT 2006

Mark,
    What zone are you in?  Here at last I need the zone map of China I found years ago, but it's in storage!  I know that Badgersett Farms in Minnesota has been working with hazels and chestnuts for zone 3.  I doubt that it would be legal or ethical to import his seeds... actually some of his chestnuts have been planted in China so I guess that would be ok.  I don't know if the American filbert blight can be carried in seed, does anyone know?  To your your west and south, white mulberries were a staple crop in Afghanistan.  People would sweep the ground under the trees and let the fruit dry on the ground.  The dried fruit can be winnowed to get rid of stems, dust and ants.  Donna