[NAFEX] Grafting in the Bible

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Sep 4 21:23:40 EDT 2006

At 10:20 AM 9/4/2006, Tom wrote:
>Why can't we (NAFEX) devise a set of instructions using simple materials,
>to produce reliable results, for under-developed areas of the world?  We
>have the experience and and know-how.

Tom,
You can't get much simpler - and cheaper - than a piece of cotton
string and some cow manure, fresh out of the cow.

Didja ever step in a cowpie that'd been lying out for a day or two or three?
Protective crust on the outside, but still nice & moist inside - and
other than Psilocybe mushrooms, you hardly ever see any sort of
fungal growth there.

If you're too put off by the thought of slathering cow manure on a
fresh graft, the inexpensive wax toilet ring gaskets (cheap, cheap)
are fairly soft, and make decent grafting wax that you don't even have to heat.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY