[NAFEX] Cleft Grafting Tool

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Mon Sep 4 11:44:26 EDT 2006

Hello,

===
Cleft-Grafting
West Virginia Universtiy - Extension service

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/treeshru/clftgrft.htm
===

You can replace the cleft grafting tool with;

	machette

	axe

	strong knife

	wide wood chisel

	wood splitter's maul

	sharpened piece of steel

My first graft was a cleft graft and was accomplised with a sharp axe that
I gently split the parent tree with, tapping the axe gently with a hammer.

Use wax or yak butter or similar (tar if desperate) to seal off the air.

Coat the scion with wax too.  Moisture loss from the scion is the primary
cause for graft failure.  The only moisture the scion has, until the graft
union heals, is the water it retains inside it.  Sealing the scion traps
that moisture inside the scion.  Also keeps bugs and disease out.

Buds on the scion will easily push through the wax.

Later,
Tom