[NAFEX] manure,heavy soil

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sat Sep 2 02:13:56 EDT 2006

Skip, do you have veg in raised beds?  It's helpful to keep such beds
planted, with veg, annuals, or a cover crop, then till remaining green
matter under and reform the bed after each crop.  Plant the bed again
immediately.  Both the live roots and the tilled green matter help the beds'
structure.

Lon, we used gypsum when I lived in AZ - thanks for the explanation of how
it worked.  Here, we tend to use peat to fluff up the soil.  My soil here is
so bad maybe a combination would help.  I've been tilling and amending, and
nothing's cropped for the first two years.  Some of the first beds are
beginning to look decent, so maybe next spring.

Stephen

Stephen

  _____