[NAFEX] manure,heavy soil

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Sep 1 23:46:42 EDT 2006

Manure won't do a lot, but organic matter will help, though your best
results will be using it as mulch.  Soil microflora and fauna will take
it into the soil and their channels will will open the soil.  It may
take a while, though, depending on the state of the soil.  A quick fix
(for a while) is a heavy application of lime.  Calcium makes the clay
particles flocculate (clump up) and helps open the soil.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.