[NAFEX] Brown rot

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Sep 1 03:21:58 EDT 2006

My guess is that compost tea wouldn't work.  In growing organically, I've
always found that healthy soils yield healthy plants. All the organic
growers I know agree, though that's hardly scientific.  My best soiled
garden (much more than 3 tons of compost per acre) was almost entirely
disease and pest free without controls of any kind.  Soil is complex; I
think there's far more to the effect of composted soil than just the
nutrients of compost tea.
Not that it wouldn't be worth a trial, the tea.

Stephen
in CA

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Donna &/or Kieran
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:23 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Brown rot

Mind you, this story comes from California where they can grow stone fruit
well, but I read that someone found that 3 tons to the acre of compost
controlled brown rot in peaches.  I would suspect that spraying the trees
with compost tea would slow it down considerably.  What we really need is a
commercial culture that either colonizes the fruit so brown rot can't take
hold, or actually attacks the fungus.    Donna