[NAFEX] grafting skill for pawpaw vs. two trees in a hole

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 00:11:15 EDT 2006

Bass,
Am writing from the NAFEX meeting in Lexington.
Another NAFEXer here confirmed today that pawpaw is about the easiest thing
we graft.  It's a great wood to try on, to learn on.  Very supple wood is
forgiving, and therefore pretty easy to get a good cambium match.

If concerned about two trees being a crowd, I'd suggest this is a good time
to convert that concern in to the millenia-old skill of grafting.

Lee Reich notes that his hort professor taught that "any fool can graft", so
that encouraged me to plunge in, give it a try, and be willing to learn from
my failures.

Richard Moyer